I came across these electric soft serve ice cream makers and thought myself, what a really good idea, the kids would love this! They do have many different models to choose from including commercial models that are quite a bit more expensive but I chose to go with a little bit better Cuisinart brand that had a few bells and whistles to it that the others didn't quite have.
It does take a little bit of skill to make ice cream and I know this because I've tried to make myself not with one of these machines but with a more traditional type of ice cream maker and it does take a little practice and preparation. The machine actually makes it a much more fun process and they can hold three different toppings which is even that much more exciting.
Options Out There:
Like I explained earlier, there are many different models and typically the ones designed for home use only make smaller amounts of ice cream for around 1 to 4 people, depending on serving size. The three pictures below illustrate some of the other models that are available on the market but they didn't quite have the special features that the Cuisinart model and are mainly just a simplistic version but are still very exciting to use.
the model that I chose makes roughly 1 1/2 quarts of ice cream in about 20 min. or so and does take a little practice and preparation work. You'll have to freeze the bowl that the ice cream mix goes into prior to using the machine for 12 to 24 hours, so keep this in mind so you don't get too excited when it shows up at your door, there will be some wait time before you can actually use it. Other than that, it is basically an automatic type of ice cream maker that simply churns the mix until the desired consistency is achieved.
How They Work:
- STEP 1: Plug in your electric ice cream maker
- STEP 2: Freeze the ice cream mixing bowl for the recommended amount of time (8-24 hrs.)
- STEP 3: Prepare the ice cream mix using the supplied recipes or a recipe of your own
- STEP 4: Insert the frozen bowl into the machine and pour and your ice cream mix that you made in the previous step
- STEP 5: Turn the ice cream maker on and set a timer, checking on the ice cream periodically.
- STEP 6: That's it! After your ice cream reaches the desired consistency turn the machine off and enjoy.
- STEP 7: When you want to use the herbs you have inside, repeat the process take the herbs out and put the inner container with the rest of the herbs back in.
These electric soft serve ice cream makers did range quite a bit in price and I found them from anywhere between $30, all the way up to $150 for the home versions and anywhere from $200-$500 and and up for the commercial versions. They did vary when it came to reviews but after reading some of the feedback people left I really think that the negative feedback was mainly due in part to the lack of skill or preparation on the users part and not necessarily the machine itself.
These are very fun and make it an interesting and exciting process especially if you have kids in the house and are very affordable considering what they do and the excitement and they bring.