Herb keepers are pretty cool little contraptions that can extend the life of your herbs and even vegetables, if they happen to fit in the container.
I wouldn’t say you could fit an entire bundle of parsley or cilantro in one of these but you can take off small bushels and put them in these containers to extend the freshness for several days more than you normally could, making them a pretty nifty gadget.
There are so many different models out there with many different looks and feels to them but I really like this one because of all of the glass used in the construction making it transparent in appearance and it really shows off the colors of the herbs in the container. Some are made from plastic and others are made with all glass construction and all of them have some sort of air valves attached to them either on the cylinder part or the top which is what makes these are herb keepers work.
How They Work:
- STEP 1: Lift and remove the inner container that holds the herbs
- STEP 2: Pour in a little bit a water at the bottom, not too much so it’s overflowing.
- STEP 3: Trim the herbs at the bottom to ensure they fit in the container, as necessary.
- STEP 4: Place the herbs or vegetables inside the inner container or cup.
- STEP 5: Reinsert the inner portion of the herb keeper into the outer portion.
- STEP 6: Then put it inside your refrigerator.
- STEP 7: When you want to use the herbs you have inside, repeat the process take the herbs out and put the inner container with the rest of the herbs back in.
They can be found most places online at sites like Amazon.com and range in price from around $13 – $50 or so but I would say that the majority of them are somewhere around the $20 mark. A good thing to do would be to think about how many herbs you use a weekly or daily basis and by one according to that, in other words, if you happen to use a lot of herbs in the course of a week or a day, you may be leaning more towards a larger herb keeper that can hold a lot more herbs as opposed to the smaller unit that wouldn’t really suits your needs and would become more of a hassle than anything. So keep this in mind when picking out one for yourself as this was one of the downfalls by some of the reviewers the left feedback for these.
You will also have to regularly replace the water in order to keep the herbs fresher longer so be sure that this process is an easy one and can easily be done without a ton of hassle.